Smart Permits Solution

Open Your KYU Account NOW

Kentucky Weight Distance Tax

The Kentucky Weight Distance Tax, or KYU, is a tax license that the State of Kentucky requires certain motor carriers to purchase. All carriers, inter-or intrastate, that travel on Kentucky roadways and whose vehicles weigh 60,000 lbs. or more (up to 80,000 lbs., beyond which point you would need an overweight permit) need to get this license or a temporary permit. The KYU permit is a fixed mileage tax that does not change based on the weight of your vehicle. Kentucky offers permanent registrations for those who will make multiple trips to and through the state, as well as temporary 10-day permits.

The Kentucky Intrastate Tax, or KIT, is a fuel consumption tax. This tax requires any Kentucky-based vehicle with a gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds (or 10,000 pounds if the vehicle has more than two axles) to pay a tax on fuel usage within the state of Kentucky. The tax rate is higher for special fuels, such as diesel, than it is for regular gasoline. KIT is effectively the Kentucky-only version of IFTA, meaning if you are registered for IFTA, you do not need a KIT number or to file KIT returns.

KYU – Kentucky Weight Distance Tax

All carriers with a combined license weight that is greater than 59,999 lbs. but less than 80,001 lbs. must pay this quarterly weight-distance tax, regardless of their base state.

KIT – Kentucky Intrastate Tax

Kentucky-based owners of vehicles weighing more than 26,000 lbs. (more than 10,000 lbs. if more than two axles) are required to pay a tax on the fuel they use in Kentucky.

Temporary Permits for KYU and KIT

In addition to the perpetual licenses, you can purchase temporary permits for any brief trips into Kentucky. These temporary permits cover all of your driving for 10 days.

Note: You need both the KYU permit and KIT if you are a Kentucky-based carrier with a vehicle weighing 60,000–80,000 lbs. When you have obtained them, you need to display both the KIT and KYU Numbers on your truck!

Requirements to Get Your KYU or KIT Number

In order to get you your Kentucky weight distance filing, we require some information from you. Then we will be able to file for your KYU permit online. Before you get started, make sure you have this information ready:

  • USDOT number, company name and owner (DBA if applicable), carrier tax ID (FEIN, SSN, EIN, or SIN), and mailing and physical addresses (we’ll autofill this information using your USDOT number).
  • Contact information: the name of the filer, phone number, and email.
  • The type of business you operate (sole proprietorship, corporation, partnership, or other).
  • Which filing you need: KYU, KIT, or both.
    • If you select KIT: if you’ve had a KIT number before, you will need to provide the name you had it under, the old KIT number, and whether the account was cancelled in good standing or not.
  • Truck information: VIN, license plate number, base state, number of axles, year, make, model, type of fuel used, unit number, gross vehicle weight (GVW), unloaded weight, and truck status.
    • If your truck is Kentucky-based, you will need to provide your title number as well.
  • Billing information: credit card number, name on card, expiration date, and billing address.
  • KIT Only: in order to complete your KIT number order, you will need to sign a Power of Attorney document. You will receive this document in your email once you place your order.

Note: you will also need an active UCR registration to complete these filings. You will not have to provide us with this information, however.

Payments and Deadlines for Your KYU/KIT Registration

KYU: Once you have your KYU number for your truck, you’ll have to file your KYU tax once per quarter. You can do this by registering online through the Kentucky Motor Carrier Portal. Through this portal, you can also update your truck inventory if your vehicles or their gross vehicle weights change. You can also email us at or call (502) 351-0002 and we’ll help you out. Remember to keep track of your mileage while you drive through Kentucky so you can file your returns accurately! We will calculate the KYU permit cost and then charge you, with your authorization, accordingly.

KIT: KIT is also a quarterly filing. The amount you pay depends on what kind of fuel you use within the state of Kentucky. You can file your KIT taxes by registering online through the Kentucky Motor Carrier Portal or by contacting us at or (502) 351-0002. You’ll need to keep track of your mileage (including off-road miles), how many gallons of fuel you use, and what kind of fuel you use for KIT. Make sure to write all of this down as you go, so you don’t run into tax trouble later!

Temporary Permits: You can also get temporary KYU and KIT permits that last for 10 days. These permits charge you a flat rate to conduct all of your operations within Kentucky for 10 days. You don’t need to keep track of anything for these permits, though we will ask you for your route so we can estimate your mileage in Kentucky.

Quarterly Reporting Due Date

January 1 st – March 31 st Apr 30 th

April 1 st – June 30 th Jul 31 st

July 1 st – September 30 th Oct 31 st

October 1 st – December 31 st Jan 31 st (Following Year)

You must file your KYU and/or KIT returns every quarter, regardless of distance traveled.

Make sure you pay your taxes on time! Failure to file on time carries serious penalties and fines, such as:

  • Suspensions or revocations of your certificate of registration and KYU account
  • A $500 fine

Our Kentucky Weight Distance Permit Experts are Here to Help.

Tax codes can get complicated fast. At, we do our best to clear up these challenging rules and regulations so truckers everywhere don’t have to worry about missing anything. We work with multiple other agencies to stay up-to-date with all regulations that could affect your haul.

With our quick and easy e-filing service, you can drive in peace knowing that the professionals have done all you need to do. You won’t have to worry about any audits or regulatory trouble. We make it our mission to find any applicable laws and regulations and get you the paperwork you need to do what you do best.

Whether you need a new KYU or KIT number, temporary permits, or help parsing out the regulations that apply to you, we can help you with all of your Kentucky weight distance permit needs. Contact us today!

Register for KYU and KIT in 3 Simple Steps!

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

Do I Need a KYU Number?

You only need a KYU number if you wish to drive on Kentucky roads and your vehicle weighs more than 59,999 lbs. If your vehicle weighs less than that, then you won’t need a KYU number to operate in Kentucky.

Notably, there is an upper limit to KYU filing. Any vehicle whose GVW exceeds 80,000 lbs. will instead need to purchase overweight permits. If this applies to you, then you are exempt from KYU.

There is one other exception to the usual KYU requirements. Farm-plated vehicles are NOT required to obtain a KYU number or pay the KYU tax.

Do I Need a KIT Number?

KIT numbers are only for companies that are based in Kentucky. If your company is based in Kentucky and you have a two-axle commercial vehicle that weighs more than 26,000 lbs. (or a commercial vehicle with more than two axles that weighs more than 10,000 lbs.), then you will need to obtain a KIT number to operate legally. Remember, the tax rate you will pay will change based on the type of fuel your vehicle uses.

Notably, charter bus operators are exempt from paying the Kentucky Intrastate Tax. All other commercial vehicles that qualify need a KIT number, however.

What’s the Difference Between KYU and KIT?

KYU and KIT may seem similar at first, but they’re very different. First of all, the weight requirements are different. All two-axle vehicles that weigh more than 26,000 pounds (or vehicles with more axles that weigh more than 10,000 pounds) qualify for KIT, but only those that weigh 60,000 or more pounds qualify for KYU.

Secondly, KYU applies to all vehicles driven in the state of Kentucky. This means that vehicles registered in other states that exceed the weight requirement must obtain KYU. However, KIT only applies to vehicles owned by companies based in Kentucky. Therefore, interstate carriers based in Ohio, for example, do not have to get KIT even if their vehicle weighs more than 26,000 pounds.

Finally, these programs apply fees to different things. KYU concerns your vehicle’s weight and the distance you travel only. KIT, on the other hand, concerns your fuel purchases. Because of this, KIT is almost always cheaper than KYU is.

What if I Only Want to Purchase Temporary Licenses?

If, for some reason, you do not wish to obtain permanent KYU licenses, you can instead purchase temporary permits! These permits last for 10 days and cover all of the driving you will do in the state of Kentucky. We can help you get these 10-day permits fast.

Do you need temporary IRP and IFTA permits? You can purchase trip and fuel permits from our sister site. These permits replace your IRP and IFTA decals, making it so that you don’t need to the purchase full apportionment. And we have them for almost every state!

How Long Does It Take to Get My KYU/KIT Registration?

You can get your KYU numbers online quickly! Submitting your paperwork by mail can easily mean a wait of 10–14 business days before you can get your license. On the other hand, you can get your KYU number within one business day with! The choice is clear.

KIT numbers take a little longer to obtain because there is no way to obtain them online insantly. So, once you apply for a KIT number with us, you can expect to receive your KIT number in about 10–14 business days.

How Much Does KYU Cost?

Once you have your number, KYU charges you based on the mileage you drive in the state of Kentucky. To calculate how much you will pay each quarter, we will take the number of miles you have driven and multiply it by the tax rate. This number will be the amount you pay in taxes.

How Much Does KIT Cost?

Like KYU, the cost of the KIT tax varies based on how far you travel within Kentucky. Unlike KYU, however, KIT’s charge also changes based on the kind of fuel you use. Regular gasoline carries a lower tax rate than special fuels like diesel.

What Happens if I Don’t File My KYU/KIT Return on Time?

Failure to file on time can result in some serious penalties. Firstly, your KYU or KIT number could be revoked, requiring you to post a bond to reinstate your license. You could also be fined up to $500. That’s not good at all! So make sure you file your returns on time to avoid these penalties.

Do I Need to Display My KYU/KIT/Temporary Permits?

You do NOT need to display your KYU number, KIT number, or temporary permits on your truck UNLESS the vehicle is leased and the lessor is the KYU account holder. In that case alone, you would have to display the KYU number. Otherwise, you don’t need to display anything; you just need to pay the taxes later!

I Have My KYU/KIT Number. What Next?

Congratulations on registering to operate in the state of Kentucky! From here on out, you’ll need to complete a quarterly filing for these taxes. The deadlines for these filings can be found above. To file your KYU or KIT taxes, go to the Kentucky Motor Carrier Portal and use your new number to make an account. If you need help filing your KYU/KIT returns, you can give us a call at (502) 351-0002 or email info@kentuckyweightdistance.comand one of our tax experts will help you file everything that you need.

Do I Have to Track My Mileage While in Kentucky?

Yes! In order to file both KYU and KIT, you will need to track your mileage within the state. Make sure to make a note of where you cross the state line, both entering and leaving the state; any off-road miles you travel; and your odometer readings. It’s helpful to note the ZIP code of where you are when you enter the state. Our dispatchers can help you plan the right route for your trip so that you don’t wind up paying too much in taxes!

It is worth noting that you do NOT need to keep track of your mileage if you are using temporary permits. These permits cost the same flat rate, so they do not vary based on your mileage.

How Do I Add or Subtract Vehicles from My Inventory?

Adding and subtracting vehicles from your inventory is easy! Just call our office at (502) 351-0002 or email us at info@kentuckyweightdistance.comto add a vehicle to your inventory. If you have a Kentucky Motor Carrier Portal account, you can also do this online through their system.

What Are Your Hours of Operation?

Our offices are open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST. It’s only during these hours that we are able to process your order, so if you’re going to be on a time crunch, make sure to plan ahead and order your Kentucky weight distance tax filings early. You can, however, fill out our online form at any time and one of our agents will process it the following business day!

Contact us